Sunday, April 20, 2014

Steampunk Picture Frame

Hello!  Katy here to show you a fun project with gears!

Here is the finished frame.  And as you scroll down I will show you how this all came together! :)

I used the Angels WingsGears A and Gears B.  I love the how delicate these wings look!

I started with a wooden frame that you get from the crafts store (they are generally inexpensive).  I painted it with gesso, first.

Then I covered the frame with Ranger's Distress Crackle Paint.  I applied it on medium to thick so the cracks would come through.

Here is the frame with it's cracklely goodness.

Here is a close up. 

Then I painted it with Tim Holtz's Distress Paint Antiqued Bronze over the cracked paint.  

To get to this step I then patted Versamark ink on the frame.  I did one side at a time (because of how hot the frame can get from the heat embosser).  I mixed Tim Holtz's Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder and Stampendous Midnight Black Opaque Embossing Powder.  I use a coffee filter to catch the excess.  So I would put Versamark on one side of the frame and then press it into the excess.  I think that is how I got those lumps.  That didn't blow off when I heated it so I consider that a success!  I think it adds texture. Not to mention that the embossing didn't cover up the cracks!

Here is a closeup of the left side of the frame.  All rusty and sooted :)

Now to the gears!  I used gears from both sets.

I used Wow Metallic Cooper on this one in the picture.  It is an Ultra High embossing powder so it is a bit chunky.  You can see the great coverage here.  I love the dimples in this gear-it just adds to the over all character.  I also used Wow Metallic Gold and Silver on the remaining gears.

For the wings I used Ranger's Liquid Platinum embossing powder.  This is finer than the Wow and a different metallic color.

I didn't get a picture with this step.  Once all of the gears are cooled off, I put Black Soot Distress Paint on the gears to give them a dirty look.  I just applied with my fingers (which is probably why I didn't take a picture at the time.) ;)  Some of my gears didn't get enough embossing powder so this covers the spots and makes them look more grungy.

Before gluing I arranged my gears until I liked how they looked.

Now, get out your strongest adhesive :)  I used Glossy Accents.  I just had to be patient and let the glue dry before adding.  Also, notice in this picture that the last copper gear doesn't have anything in the middle.  So if I put a smaller gear there it won't be raised like the other gears.

 So I glue 2 gears together on there sides.  The gold gear is going in the copper gear.  So it will be suspended there.  To make sure it is supported I put a pop dot underneath it.

Here is a close up of the gears all finished and glued into place.

Here is a closeup of the wings.  I used a Prima light bulb for the center.  

Here is a closeup of the frame on the left.  The crackle and the copper color of the vintage embossing powder show through so nicely!

We can't wait to see what you make!  Link up here to join our April Challenge! :)


  1. Woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....absolutely awesome the layers...the embossing!!...Great tute!...

  2. Fantastic Katy. Love the techniques and details. WTG!!!!