Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Little Cabin in the Woods

Hello Everybody!

Today I am sharing a fun project using ATC's, a polaroid frame and one of the wooden tags.  It is a little cabin.


I am going to give you the 360 degree tour and then show you how this came together.  Here is the front.   


Here is one side of the cabin.  The flower box is on the right.


Here is the back (and behind the scenes!) ;)


Here is the other side.


I gathered my supplies.  I had my 4 ATC pieces, wooden tag (at this point I didn't know which one), one of the smaller polaroid frames, glue gun, and pastes.  The smaller polaroid frame is the window.


Here is the roof put together.  For this I actually used Fabri Tac which was great but it seemed like a long time to dry.  It held together though, but I am impatient.  ;)


Before I can add the walls-I decorate them first.  The "wall" on the left has fiber paste on it.  The "wall" on the right has fiber paste also.  I used the brick stencil to push into the paste.  (Opposite of what you normally do with a stencil.)  I went over the mortar lines with a popsicle stick to make sure the outline is deep enough.  Since these ATC cards are made out of wood they take this paste very well.  No warping!



While these dry I started working on the roof.  This polka dot paper is from Making Memories.  I used a punch to punch out this shape. 


I painted the dried fiber paint with regular acrylic paint.  I did use black distress paint for the grey.  Then I used red and black for the brick color.


Here they are.  I glued the window (one of the smaller polaroids) to each wall and then glued the roof on top.  Then I used modge podge to glue on the shingles.



I used aluminum foil for the tree.  I took a sheet, folded it in half and then a little more.  I figured out by looking at it about how tall the tree would be.  Then I rolled it up tight.



Next, I embossed a brown sheet of cardstock with the tree embossing folder from Tim Holtz.  


Here's the tree trunk.  It is slightly bigger on the bottom which for a tree is perfect.


Here's the foil on the inside.


I used Tim Holtz's Garden Greens for the tree leaves.  I used different scraps just to give my tree a little variety.


Using my glue gun, I adhered the ends of the leaves to the top of the aluminum foil.  Then once it was all dry, I shaped the leaves by rounding out the stem.


I had the walls and the window and roof glued together.  But there were two big gaps.  On from the roof to the window and from the window to the ground.  So I found this light weight cardboard.  I cut it to size and did the same "wall treatment" as I did on the main walls.  This time I used a thinner coat of fiber paste. 



I used this material for the curtains but they needed something....


Worn Lipstick distress stain!


Here is the base.  This is the before and I forgot to take the after!  I used distress paint green shutters, olive, and mowed lawn distress ink on the tag.  The part that ribbon goes in is where I glued the tree with hot glue.


I trimmed and painted this piece of foam for the flower box.



I put a tea light in the cabin to make it have a nice glow.



Here is the cabin at nighttime.  :)


If you stuck with me to the end-Thank you!  I hope you are inspired to think outside the square!  Remember to come back tomorrow to see what Debbie has created!









2 comments:

  1. KATYKATYKATY!!!!!!....as I said earlier on "our dt blog"...this is stinkin' cute!!....and what a perfectly awesome tute on how you created your little cabin in the woods!.. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete